Saturday 2 August 2014

Saturday thoughts on . . . August!
























 Things always seem to slow down a bit when August hits . . . perhaps it is because this is the month when the heat of the summer seems to be in it's zenith . . .  people walk without hurry, pasturing cows seek the shade of the trees which border their pastures, sleepily chewing their cud . . . the birds quiet down and the air seems to hum with the buzz of cicadas, something which we do not have here in the UK, but a noise which embroidered all of  the HOT summer days of my childhood.

The courgettes in the garden go wild . . . and corn silk begins to darken in the corn patches signalling it's about ready for picking.   All of the busy-ness of spring planting is over . . .  and the busy-ness of the harvest has not yet begun.  We are on a bit of a hiatus . . . it would seem . . .

 photo SAM_6232_zps4d33abf3.jpg

The garden begins to droop and sag somewhat . . . the heat of August even seemingly gets to the flora and fauna in our beds and pots . . .

But the tomatoes . . . . ohhhh . . . the tomatoes . . . rosy ripening sweet orbs of gold and crimson . . . the vegetable garden is where the blessings of these hot still days are manifold . . .  with ripening sweet golden ears of corn, gleaming emerald peppers, royal purple of the aubergine . . . .  rows of hanging beans and pod of pea . . .  the colour and richness and texture in a vegetable garden in August are a recurrent miracle of sorts . . .

"I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and 
wattles made;
Nine bean rows will I have here, a hive for the
honey bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade."
~William Butler Yeats, Lake Isle of Innisfree  
















August is the month of the Full Sturgeon Moon.  The Algonquin knew that the sturgeon of the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain were most readily caught during this full Moon. They also called this the Full Green Corn Moon.  I read yesterday that they are expecting August here in the UK to break records temperature wise, beginning about the middle of the month.  We may actually experience the "dog days" of August this year.

I am not sure how to feel about that.

 photo SAM_6074_zpscc48922c.jpg

I am not a person who likes to sleep on top of the covers . . .

A thought to carry with you through today . . .

(¯`✻´¯)
  `*.¸.*✻ღϠ₡ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ..
Happiness is not a matter of events, 
it depends upon the tides of the mind. 
~Alice Meynell  ⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰  


 photo SAM_6393_zpsf85d0bfd.jpg 

Something else I love about August . . .  Blueberries!  Baking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  a delicious Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake!

 ═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░L░O░V░E⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════     

Have a wonderful Saturday from beginning to end!

11 comments:

  1. Marie i have to agree that there is something very wrong about sleeping on top of the covers. We run the air con nearly every night in summer.

    Enjoy the slower and golden days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope that we continue to get the wonderful summer weather we have ha dthese last 6 weeks or so. I am sur eit is the longest run of warm days weh ave had for what seems like years,,,So long as it is not HUMID I will be ok...I can't cope with humid weather. Mind you this morning we have rain yes actual rain..we have had drizzle few times yesterday but at the moment it is WET. hope it stops soon...The farmers have started on the harvest around here Marie. Saw the combine out yesterday. we have a lovely local farmer who keeps one field of corn to give to the local churches for Harvest Services he cuts it and has it bundles into sheaths...it looks so lovely in the fields to see the old fashiones "stooks"....
    Hope you have a lovely day,,,relax and enjoy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very few people have Air con over here Suzan. We seldom get hot enough to need it! (Thank goodness!) xxoo

    Sybil, it rained off and on here all day yesterday and really bucketed down at times. It looks to rain today as well, but the garden really needed it. I love seeing old fashioned "stooks" in the fields too! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. August is usually the hottest month of the year for us. Air conditioning makes it tolerable. I'm so spoiled by it. Years ago none of us had it or even bothered about the heat, but now I'm older I do enjoy it. Early morning or late evening it's nicer outdoors so I try to get outside then to enjoy summer. These days fly by too soon. Hope you have a super Saturday. It's overcast here this morning, it may rain here too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a person who likes to sleep on top of covers either! I need the comfort of something on me:)
    Have a beautiful weekend marie..You just reminded me to change my hello..to August..Must flip my SB calendar page too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WE haven't had a really nice warm summer in a few years Pam! So we are enjoying this one and taking advantage of it all! It rained buckets most of today but the sun is shining now! YOU have a super Saturday too!

    Monique, are you sure we were not separated at birth? LOL We are so alike. I need to change my SB calendar too!! Happy Weekend to you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so cute..just flipped..cows chicks bunnies..♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you gotten her new ones for 2015 yet Monique? I got the wall one and the desk blotter. I couldn't resist them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will put in my Wish list for when I vist the US..Smart girl..love hers and ME desktop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear Marie, you have such a gift of writing. I loved it all. Yes, summer is closing in. I would like nights a bit cooler here; it has been hot. It did rain last week for a few days; which helped a lot. I always just have different feelings for the different seasons.
    Blessings and hugs for you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH, I wish I could visit the US Monique! Lucky you! xx

    LeAnn, thank you! I like cooler nights for sure. I do enjoy all the seasons, but I think the autumn still has to be my favourite! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!