Monday 22 December 2014

Small and Wonderful Things

 photo smallandwonderfulthings_zps3028a6aa.jpg

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   


 

 photo 1f566460916c730247104fdeb0a4915d_zpsdb691887.jpg

Singing all of the old carols in church the whole month through.  Silent Night and Angels We have Heard on High . . . timeless.  When I hear them and sing them, I am a child once more sitting next to my father in church on Christmas Eve.  Just me and him.   I feel special to be having this sacred time alone with my dad.

 photo 07dc64779bb5fcd1bec2592a133015b7_zpsabce767e.jpg

Messages of love from near and afar which pour through the letter box, from loved ones dear and neighbors near . . .  Todd counts them each year and is always amazed and chuffed when we have more than the year before.   He strings them up on a cord which he drapes along the top of our curtains in the living room.  Two strings this year.   We are loved.

 photo 5de86ea52c9aaaa8b89d17751e0068c0_zpsa8d6ea82.jpg

Stolen kisses neath the Mistletoe.

 photo 6456820421_109173349c_b_zps68c9fec6.jpg

The house smells like ginger, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon and . . . pine and oranges. Warm.  Inviting.  

 photo key-art-miracle-on-34th-street.jpg

No matter how many times you have seen them . . .  you watch them again.  Newer models cannot compete with the warmth and companionship of the older ones which we slip on again, as easily as slipping on an old pair of slippers.   They feel like family . . .

 photo Merry_ChristmasWR709123.jpg

Revisiting old traditions and discovering new traditions.  And sharing them with the people you love.

 photo 20a26111d4e999fe1521a0ffbb77ad82_zps01d4b9e7.jpg

Oh Holy Night  . . .

 photo d4bb0597281f5937e8b8dc3aa2f1f451_zps0aa631b9.jpg

The air is filled with love and anticipation . . .  promise and possibility . . .

I adore this time of year.  It just feels special and not because of the presents or the tinsel . . .
It's because of the love.   Love for each other.  Love from above.  Peace.   I am blessed to feel both.  My wish would be that everyone could.

 photo SAM_8598_zps4db3c871.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  a simple Oven Barbequed Chicken.

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░L░O░V░E⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 


Have a wonderful week.   I hope it is filled with oodles of small and wonderful things . . .  with love.  May you feel the peace that passeth all understanding.

9 comments:

  1. Good morning Marie. I have spent the evening at Dad's nursing home as they had carols by candle light. I was even handed a microphone and it was the first time I sang with one since I was 12! Yikes.

    Enjoy the lead up to the big day. I must admit I am fighting the Grinch this year. Very little money and I cannot get my act together.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful Suzan! I am sure the residents really enjoyed your visit. How nice that they do this. We don't have any money this year, but for years and years it was the same. Any money I had was always spent on the children. Now I am old and there is no money to spend, but I am loved and I have my Todd and we have our Mitzie and our lovely little life together and the gospel in our lives. Life is good and we are happy. Christmas is about love for me. Anything else is a bonus. I hope your spirit perks up before the big day. Sending you extra love and hugs. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to spread out the little joys this year too. I seems like a splendid idea to have something nice for each day. Tomorrow is simple as I am planning to show Pip how to make gingerbread. If you want to see a recent photo of Pip look at the photo I just put up of dad. She is behind him wearing lights around her neck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post..and the poulet looks delicious:)
    2 strings that is something to feel warm about:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The time is growing very short now till Christmas. I wanted to get more baking done here, but have decide I'd done enough and today and tomorrow I'm just going to move slowly and enjoy these special days without pushing myself to the limit. Everything is ready now except for the cooking I'll be doing for our family gathering, but that is not until Saturday ! I hope you have a Happy Monday !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dad looks like he is enjoying himself Suzan! That's something to smile about! I hope you enjoy making the gingerbread with Pip! xoxo

    Thanks Moique! Two strings is indeed something to feel warm about! xxoo

    I wish I could be a fly on the wall at your family gethering Pam! I miss things like that. But we do our best with the missionaries and our Nurse. And of course Mitzie! Enjoy your rest! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just so wish I coudl smell all these lovely smells in your house Marie. I am so lazy and never seem to bake anything these dasy never seems much sense when it is just Mary and me (and occasionally Peter) not the sam ethese days at all with no family around to share..I woudl go over to Maragret and mayeb even make them a nice dinner etc but they want to be on their own so that's that...so Mary and I it will be....
    Please what happened to the car ?didn't see any more about it on facebook? can it be repaired ?
    Have a wonderful few days...My cards are all around me as well I stick them on the walls with masking tape it dosn't harm the walls and comes of easily..I have run out of room in teh sitting room now onto the hall and bedroom doors !!! I am truly very lucky and blessed to have so many friends surrounding me x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this was just wonderful too. You can bring out the sweet feelings with your special talent of writing like few I know. Even the pictures bring feelings of nostalgia.
    Sending love and hugs your way dear friend and a wish for magical Christmas moments for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sybil, I wish I could bottle them up and send them to you! As mysteriously as the car cracked up, it fixed itself. I think it was an answer to prayers! ALthough we were not able to make it to the church to see the Christmas Truce, Todd did get it home and it's worked fine ever since! Mysterious! xxoo

    Oh thanks LeAnn! You are too kind to me! Happy Christmas to you and Roger! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!