Thursday 21 May 2015

Five Things About Me . . .



















 This is a photo of me flying up to girlguides when I was nine.   See those white bits on the floor, they were stepping stones and had all of the achievements I had had to conquer in order to be able to fly up.  I had to approach that gate you see and then someone had to let me in.  It was a very emotional evening.  I went from being a sixer and oldie to being a beginner again.  I can remember being a bit afraid and also excited.  There were lots of tears from the ones I left behind and I shed a few of my own.

Yes, it's another five things about me post.

I really enjoyed the Brownies and the Girlguides.  I learned a lot belonging to those two organizations.  Summer jamborees were fun, where we got to meet girls from all over and spend the day singing songs, playing games, learning skills together.  I never ever did get to go to camp.  I did have all of my money saved one year to go and all of the kit purchased, but the camp got cancelled that year because they could not find a nurse.  Just my luck.






















I loved the organization so much when I was a girl that I became a leader when I was an adult.  I mostly did it so that I could be with my own girls and do something together with them.  I was "Happy Owl."  That was the name the girls chose for me.  The organization had changed a lot from when I was a girl.   My daughters went all through Brownies, but then once they got to girlguides they didn't really care to stick with it.  I couldn't really blame them, but did miss being able to do something like that together with them.















I grew up with a "Guilt Complex" and carried it around with me most of my adult.   I always thought everything was my fault.   In glee club at school, when the choir director said someone was singing off key, I automatically assumed it was me and only mouthed the words for the rest of the time I was in glee club . . .  I was so sure it was me.  I used to feel guilty about everything.   If someone was accused of something I would feel guilty, even if I KNEW it wasn't me who had done it.  I still struggle with it and apologise all the time for things I didn't do, wouldn't do, couldn't do . . .  but I am getting better at not feeling guilty.  I don't know where something like this comes from, or what causes it.  I only know that it is something which I struggle with and probably always will.















 I got a Ouija Board for Christmas when I was about thirteen or fourteen.  I hated it.  I think it was one of those presents kids get that the parents really want for themselves.   My mother used to make me go onto it with her all the time.   There was a real ritual involved with using it as well.   She would rub the pointer on the cat and then with a silk scarf and I can remember sitting on the sofa with her for what seemed like hours doing it.  I remember one time my grandfather spoke to us through it, or what we thought was my grandfather . . .  my mother's father.  It told us that he had been murdered, which my mother always suspected anyways.  It said things that I could never have known . . .  but heard in my head before the board spelled them out.  It was a terrifying experience.  Ouija boards are scary.   My Aunt Freda had a fire in her house.  Half the house was pretty much destroyed.  In the half that was destroyed only a few things survived and one was the pointer from their Ouija board and it was sitting on the floor pointing to where the fire had started.   True story.


















 I have had an ongoing battle with facial hair since I hit puberty.   I had a bit of a moustache when I was a teen.   I tried everything except shaving it off.  I would never have done that because I was worried then it would come back like a man's.   I tried bleaching it, but a yellowish/red moustache is still a moustache.  I used cream hair remover for the most part and now I wax.   Oddly enough it always disappeared when I was pregnant.  I can remember being on the school bus one day when the girl in the seat in front of me turned around and announced to the whole bus that I had a moustache.   I was mortified.   I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me.   At the advanced age of 59 almost 60, I have now developed a beard to go with my moustache . . .  but I have also matured enough to realize that most women have.  If I could afford it I would have lazer hair removal.  My mother has been seeing an electrolysis lady for at least thirty years.  I seriously doubt the worth of electrolysis.   If it worked I wonder why she is still needing to go after thirty years  . . .

There is probably no cure . . .  truth be told.

















I struggle with mathematics.  I have always struggled with mathematics.  It has always been my weakness.   I am okay up until I get to 7 time 7 in the multiplication tables  . . .  and then it all falls apart for me.  I then have to start adding in my head and not very well either (Like seven  times seven plus seven equals fifty six and that is seven times eight.)  I just do not have a mathematical brain I guess.

My skills lie in different areas.

And that is my five things about me for this week.  Have I begun repeating myself?  I don't know.   Fact number six.  I have a brain like a sieve.

 photo copyright_zps9u8r4vkx.jpg

I did a few bits and bobs yesterday.   Spoons and tarts, a cupcake and a teapot.   I haven't heard anything from the licenser yet.   It probably didn't go well.  Sigh . . .

A thought to carry with you through today . . .


  ❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥
Expect to have hope rekindled
Expect your prayers to be answered 
in wonderous ways.
The dry seasons in life do not last.
The Spring rains willcome again.
~Sarah Ban Breathnach
 ❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥

  photo DSCN1806_zpsceyomjse.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Greek Mac and Cheese.

Have a great Thursday!  Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!


7 comments:

  1. Enjoy your day Marie. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your day and God bless you too Suzan! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the licenser didn't get any nibbles..there's a problem.Your art is SO cute and precious..Love these kitchen/cupcake things Marie..
    Oy and The Ouija board..

    We notice everything on ourselves don't we?
    Shame on that girl on the bus.
    I mean really.
    I was subjected to a lot of meaness too ..I get it.
    Everyone was skinny or slim and I was not.
    Quit the swim team because when I dove in..they would say Tidal Wave.:(
    Oh the fun of growing up different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life can be very tough Monique but it helped to make me a much more compassionate person! Every cloud has its silver lining! Hope you are having a great day! Picturing you out in your garden. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Marie ... as a child I thought the Ouija board was just another game, and the few times I tried to play nothing ever happened to pique my interest. I've since come to think of it as one of those 'no-nos' the Bible instructs us to stay away from, a form of wizardry if you will. A similar game my husband played was called 'Raise the Table.' Four people sat around a light-weight card table, lightly placing their fingertips on the table and chanting 'rise table, rise' until such time as the table lifted one or more legs from the floor; at that point, questions could be asked and the table responded by tapping the floor. He swears it actually worked and once frightened him so that he never tried it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good reading your entry as always Marie. I am late commenting today as I had truble with computer this morning...for some reason the keyboard would not work/type...It is fine now though..Been a lovely sunny day down here although still that cold wind but I was determined to sit out so put on a cardi and did just that for over an hour !
    Hope you and Todd have had a good day as well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now my dear friend; be more positive about your work until you actually hear different. I can say this because I am just like you.
    I wasn't into girl scouting or Brownies; but I was in 4 H which was similar and I had a lot of fun doing that. I love that you could be involved with your daughters. I was at least able to be a Bee Hive leader when my oldest two daughters were in. I always loved the YW program but haven't served in it for years.
    I agree Ouija boards are scary; I did do it with a couple of girlfriends once and it really scared me.
    Don't feel sad about hair on the face; I have to shave everyday. I worry about being put in a nursing home and having no one shave my face.
    Math isn't my things either. I have gotten worse at it since I can just a calculator all of the time.
    Blessings, love and hugs~

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!