Sunday 6 September 2015

Ponderings . . .



 photo 62808b049da877800cba421b1e3bde29_zpsqqzjds10.jpg


“ I cannot believe that the inscrutable universe turns on an axis of suffering; surely the strange beauty of the world must somewhere rest on pure joy.” ~Louise Bogan

I like to think of my self somewhat as a garden. A garden in which I daily use gratitude to help to til the soil of my soul.  I try to plant seeds of simplicity and of order, which I am hoping will root themselves deep into the earth of who I am and what I am becoming.The flowers of harmony inspire me with courage . . .  not just fo rme, but also for my loved ones and those around me.   As patience and beauty blossom around me, I am happy.   I have found joy, a wellspring of joy which helps to refresh, nourish and renew . . . I have found my place in the world.


 photo 2ab01ed2287da81e513ccf5af2aeaeb5_zpsq2j9tn0r.jpg


“With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony, and the deep power of joy, we see into the life of things.” ~William Wordsworth

I have been lucky enough to walk amongst the daffodils that Wordsworth wrote of,  and to spend some time in Wordsworth country. It is indeed very beautiful up there. A kind of beauty which we can all share in by reading his very perfectly prosed words. He was able to see into the life of things through the power of his mind’s eye,  and in doing so, he was then able to share it with us through his beautiful words.

 That has been my goal over the last few years . . .  being able to see into the life of things.   I believe that in doing so I am embracing the path of Joy.  The scriptures tell us that man is that he might have joy. (2 Nephi:25)

 photo 9e964ffe1d29e298a61e994f184a6fb6_zpsiaccio2b.jpg


This involves learning to live in the present moment . . . in "letting go" of the past . . .  and trusting with hope in the future. We must stop telling ourselves that the worst is going to happen and expecting it to happen. In doing so I truly believe we “will” it to happen, and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.  We become the authors of our own misfortune.

As we struggle through each day,  flinging ourselves from one crisis to another, allowing circumstances to batter and bruise us,  we tend to forget that we always have a choice. We can choose to expect the best things to happen instead of the worst. We can start to look at the glass as being half full instead of half empty. We can stop the drama and learn to trust in the flow of life and the goodness of the Spirit. We can become  the authors of our own happy endings.


 photo e1a20ff91a621a89d7244b25847c3649_zps5ux4twdy.jpg

I love the story in the scriptures about Lot's wife.   Upon fleeing Sodom and Gomorrah, she was cautioned not to look back . . .  and that if she did so, she would become a pilar of salt.   She looked back, and became a pilar of salt.   I believe there is a great lesson to learn here.

When we look back at our past . . .  either with despair, or sometimes even with longing . . .  we allow the past  to claim a toe- hold in our futures.  Oh sure, we do need to take lessons from our past . . .  to know and accept  that if we have made mistakes we must do better . . .  but we also really need to learn to leave the past in the past where it belongs. In letting go of the struggle, we are enabled to embrace the joy that is ours to capture.  We have to stop looking back, lest we, too . . .  become pilars of salt.


 photo ee7b6a93e50748d8d4e799762946d316_zpsxuf2j9p4.jpg


We need to believe that this day holds good things for us . . .  and then in believing this . . .  we need  to claim all the blessings that this day, today, has waiting for us to discover. These things have been there every day. They will be there everyday. They’ve just been waiting for us to find them.   I believe that in doing so we can change the spin of our universe so that it now spins on the axis of joy, pure and utter  joy.

That’s not to say that bad things won’t still happen, life is what it is after all,  but let’s face it . . . in the midst of all that joy, how can misery and despair ever hope to gain a solid footing in your life again???


 photo 144f2048c284320a28e3c166acfed235_zps5qhtd6ik.jpg

As this is the first Sunday of the month, I am compelled once more to bear my Testimony to you. 

I know that we have a Heavenly Father who loves each and every one of us with a perfect love. He is real to me.  I feel of His love every day of my life.  I know that He hears my prayers and I know that He answers them.  It may not always be the answer I want, but it is always the answer I need.  I believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.   He is also real to me and He is my anchor in every port and in every storm.   I not only believe IN Him, but I BELIEVE Him, and all that He said, did and will do.    Following His teachings is the key to finding happiness and joy in this life and in the life to come.  He is my exemplar in all things, and He will lead me back to my Heavenly Home and hold my hand every step of the way.   This does not make me weak, but empowers me to be and to become the very best that I can become.  I trust in Him.

 photo DSCN3037_zpsrhtxgoj8.jpg 

Baking in The English Kitchen today . . . Blueberry Streusel Muffins.

Have a wonderful sabbath!


8 comments:

  1. Good morning Marie,

    Enjoy your Sunday and may you feel the abundance you have with God as the Lord of your life.

    I am battling today. I miss my dad even though he is alive. Having an ex has brought about drama and mum is asking me weird question about the multiply disabled children I worked with 30 years ago. I have told her it is the past and I don't want to go there. Enough for one day. I should find a movie and sit down with my handwork for a while. It sounds like a cure to me.

    So God bless you and keep you. Love always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always lovely wise words Marie...we need no more than the knowledge that we have a Heavenly Father that we can speak with at any time...As you know I have had a stressful few weeks and at first I tried to do everything in my own strength till one day when I was at the end of my rope, I realised how silly I was and handled everything over to our Heavenly Father I'm not saying that everything suddenly went right....but...I felt calmer and I can thank God for that...
    It is a beautiful morning down here blue sky with hardly a cloud to be seen. I will be away to church in a few hours then home picking up Peter and Mary when we will all go for lunch, I remembered a place we go to that has only got one step so Mary will get in ok...she was at hospital on Friday they are going to do an MMR scan in case she has torn tendons they could operate to repair but she has already said no way she won't spend another six weeks in hospital, anyway we truly believe that she hasn't torn anything and that more physio and patience will win through. Have a lovely day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear Suzan. I cannot pretend to understand the loss of a person through dementia, but I do send you my love. I think a film and some handwork sounds like the best cure ever. Blessings and love. xoxo

    Isn't it marvelous Sybil, how such a simple act can make such a different to our mental wellbeing. What a load lifted off. I hope you all enjoy your lunch out! Love and hugs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite sayings is that although every day may not be a good one, there is something good to be found in every day. I try to always look on the bright side of life. Rejoicing in each day...Happy Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merci Monique! Pour toi aussi! xoxo

    Pam, you are one of the most positive ladies I know! Happy Sunday to you too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Marie you were the Angel I needed...God is Good! It's been a difficult month/summer~ I will re read your words a few more times!XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. God is indeed good Unknown. I know this to be true. Even at the lowest points of my lowest days I have tried my best to cling to this truth. There have been many times when I have relied solely on my faith in the strength of the Saviour to carry me through. Sometimes as I have struggled along it is all I can do to hold on to the rod amidst the mists of darkness which nips at my heels, but I believe in the promises of my Heavenly Father that so long as I keep trying, the atonement of Jusus Christ can and will make up the difference. The power of the Atonement embroiders my life with goodness and promise. I am glad that you were able to find some strength in my words. Sometimes I worry that I get a bit too spiritual on here, but I am compelled to share anyways. I am often the very person who needs to read them. Thank YOU for patiently allowing me to work through my thoughts on here. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!