Sunday 31 July 2016

The July Garden . . .




July begins to slip off the calendar into August today  . . . farmers anxiously look at their fields of ripening corn, weighing out their chances of a good harvest.  I hope that all is well.   The children are on school holidays now, so the prices of holidays and days out have increased,  and swathes of holiday makers are flocking to the seasides in hopes of sunny weather  . . .  nothing is more festive than a British seaside in the summertime . . .

 

The meadows and woodlands are embroidered at the edges with the lovely rosebay willowherb . . . hedgerows are garlanded with traveller's joy and the banks of the canal  are strewn with meadow-rue and loosestrife . . .  some say weeds, I say otherwise . . .

And the bees love them . . .

 

In the garden . . .  the first of the chrysanthemums are dancing with the last of the delphiniums in the crowded borders.  Lemon and cherry coloured wands of  gladiola thrust themselves up between tangled masses of gaillardias, coreopsis, gypsophilia, clarkia and yes  . . .  humble marigolds . . .

 

In the rose garden things begin to look a bit weary . . .  Madame Butterfly, Lady Forteviot and the Doctor are resting it seems, but Caroline Testout and Ophelia are still putting on a show amidst the last of the foxgloves . . .  whilst in the west wings of the stage the Poulson polyanthas are holding court with their gorgeous trusses of pink and crimson blooms  . . .



Every day now we will move towards the summer's end but there is always something new waiting around the corner . . .  some new loveliness to be discovered, some new joy to be experienced . . .

I love the summer garden . . .

We've pulled the drying peas from out of the tubs now and are babying the tomatoes and beans.   We are hoping to get at least several good feeds from them, and toying with the idea of a raised bed for next year.  Just a small one mind  . . . but we will see.

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .

 

A picture one for today . . .

Spiritual Enlightenment 

  photo DSCN8150_zps9naao96n.jpg

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Grandmother's Oatmeal Cookies.  Milk and cookie cookies!


I hope you have a lovely Sabbath day filled with lots of love and summer joys.  Don't forget . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


 And I do too!


9 comments:

  1. Happy Sabbath Marie.

    My day has been very quiet, I couldn't sleep last night because my ears are bothering me. The children were up early to buy the new J K Rowling book. An old neighbour popped in but she was worried about catching our bug and in her 90s I do not blame her. I am sitting in Macdonald's. Pip is auditioning for a massive production of Grease and I wait. Sadly the Maccas wifi is better than at home. We live in a dreadful blackspot. After the audition I will gladly go home and crawl into bed.

    I love the photos of gardens in England. Ours never get to look so pretty.

    God bless you and Todd. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry your ears are bothering you so much Suzan. I know how that feels. I am still blocked in my left ear from the Winter escapade I had with it. It has never unblocked. Good luck to Pip and her audition. I love Grease. One of my favourite musicals¬ God bless your evening. I hope you can relax. Love and hugs, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quote about there is nothing in nature that blooms all year...so true in nature and in ourselves. Our summer flowers have about shown us their glory as the heat has about done them in. One thing that continues to thrive and bloom though is the Rose of Sharon bushes and they are exceptional. Happy Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the names of your roses..book fodder:)
    Our raised bed is so small yet can pack a punch..it's hexagonal..surely some of those strapping young men who visit you could do one in an hr or less..You can even lay newspaper at the bottom I have read..ask each person to bring a length of wood:) One each..you need 4 for a rectangle..lol as if you didn't know that..wouldn't that be fun?
    And serve"dirt' cake..aka chocolate:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that quote Pam and thought to myself perfect! We need to remind ourselves of these things from time to time! Hope your Sunday is a good one. Is the rose of Sharon like what we call wild or Tudor roses? xoxo

    Sounds like a great plan Monique! I will bear all that in mind. I have been looking at raised bed plans on Pinterest. What ever did we do before Pinterest! ;-) Dirt Cake sounds a great plan! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are wonderful Marie remembering all the names of the flowers I'm afraid I am hopeless, when Lyn and I got our walks along the canal we were always saying ...wonder what that is , or this is ?...if I were more often going along these paths I would buy myself one of these eye spy books !!....we have had a nice afternoon as my niece Beth and Max her husband brought over their new puppy, she is only 9 weeks old and had her first jabs yesterday and was chipped etc, so they could bring her over as Masy has had all her jabs..otherwise they have to wait for another three weeks till its safe fear her to mix...Masy was not at all amused at the wee one, we had thought being small she might have interacted in some way, but oh no, she thought she might be attacked at any moment LOL....the pup is a Jack Russell black and white and ever so cute. I was glad they came over as I have felt vey giddy and lightheaded today so it let me forget myself for a bit...hope you and Todd have had a lovely Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved all the beautiful photos of the lovely gardens. The colors and combinations of flowers are just so spectacular. The other thing I enjoy is your descriptions; you are a very talented writer. Blessings for you and lots of hugs too~

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is the nerd in me Sybil! All those years of reading the encyclopedia is paying off! lol I saw a photo of the puppy on facebook and it is ADORABLE! I often wonder how Mitzie would be if we tried to introduce a new puppy. Probably not well I fear! I hope you feel better today! ((((hugs)))) Love and hugs to you! xoxo

    Thanks LeAnn! Again, it is the nerd in me and my poetic mind. Bless you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!