Wednesday 9 August 2017

Wednesday wanderings . . .

 


 I was thinking yesterday afternoon about the old Stedman's Department store they had in Middleton, Nova Scotia when I was growing up, and just how special it was. It was at the centre of Commercial Street, and the centre of many a dream when I was a girl.  Technically you weren't supposed to leave the school grounds at lunch time but everyone did, and I spent many a lunch hour walking up its aisles looking at jewelry or clothing and just dreaming about what I would like to buy had I the money.  They had everything that an old five and dime store would have, everything from soup to nuts and everything in between. 

 

It was a wonderful emporium of hopes and wishes.  There was a certain smell to it, and a certain feel . . .  with floor boards that creaked and groaned along with the tap, tapping of your shoes as you walked up and down the aisles.  The aisles were set out in long rows from front of the shop to back, with only the outside aisles nestled against the walls having displays that went up and that you could not look over.  The centre aisle was where the cash register was, set in the middle.  There was no canned music to accompany you, not that I remember anyways.  The women who worked there had worked there for years. Most were spinsters.  I remember one in particular who went to our church.  I wish I could remember her name.  She was tiny and quick like a bird, wearing her dark hair in a bun at the back of her head, kept neat with a hairnet.  She had a somewhat parsimonious look about her, but I am sure she was actually quite nice . . . 


 It was not a huge store, nor did it have a lunch counter to my recollection. If it had I am sure I would remember it, foodie that I am.  You could buy your panti-hose there, and your hair adornments, make up, perfume, costume jewelry,  slips and panties, gifts, toys, cards, wrapping paper, etc.  . . .



Penny candy  . . .  with licorice pipes and whips, candy bars, jaw breakers, soft creams and the like. At Christmas it would be the place to go when you were making up your wish list for Santa Claus and they had a dedicated toy section that got larger and brighter at that special time of year and of course there would be sparkly colourful decorations all over the store tempting you to buy the same to decorate your home with. 

  

Middleton was not a large town, but it had plenty of shopping.  There was the music store, Ditmars, which sat across the street from the Stedmans.  It had a variety of musical instruments and sheet music.  I used to buy the reeds for my clarinet there and peruse the record album covers and latest 45's.  We also had a jewelry store.  I drooled in that window lots of times. I remember saving up my pennies for a pair of earrings  after I was finally allowed to get my ears pierced.  They were  hook drops and had little gold filigree dangle balls.  I thought they were the height of sophistication.  There was also a shoe store to drool over, a hardware store, a fabric shop, a furniture store, a drug store, and several banks and a grocery store (IGA), which are still there, although everything else is long since gone, and the IGA is now another type of Grocery store whose name escapes me.

Now there is a dollar store, a drug store, Home Hardware and a Giant Tiger
type of store, a hair dresser, a cafe and a pizza place that is
not as good as my cousin Hal's Pizza Factory
that sits on Main Street.
and of course, the
Credit Union
...

  

There was a small restaurant on the main street, called The Shaker Restaurant.    It was so called because there were rows of salt and pepper shakers from the owner's collection lining the walls behind the lunch counter.  Yes you could sit there as there were stools. The waitress looked just like this one and had the same hair style. (Not kidding.) The kids used to congregate there after school and on the weekend, buying cokes and french fries.  The girls giggling and talking about the boys they liked, etc. There was a fancier restaurant a bit further down the way called Eisnor's, which was very popular with the older set and the type of place where your dad would take the family for a treat dinner out every now and then.  They were famous for their Seafood Platters and the Christmas decorations that decorated the huge house next door which was owned by the same family who owned the restaurant.  They decorated that house for years and years every Christmas and people would come from miles around to look at it.  I remember bringing my own children to look at it after I had grown up, married and had a family of my own. 

Eisnor's is long since gone but the Shaker lives on
as the town Chinese Restaurant, 
House of Cheng.  


Long gone is the charm of yesteryear.  Back in the day the town's Commercial street would be a hum of activity on a Friday night when all of the people from outside the town and up the mountain would come down to do their shopping.  There was a movie theatre, The Capitol (now a pub) that would be filled on Friday and Saturday nights and for Saturday afternoon matinees.  It was a Leave it to Beaver type of a town and I have many, many fond memories of it.  It has a new charm and flavour now which will be a part and parcel of the generation now coming up, but for us oldies it will never be quite the same. 


My little Princess is growing up so fast. My daughter posted this photo of Maryn the other day.  Not sure what the pose is in aid of, perhaps a dance pose?  I don't know. I think she is a very pretty little girl, but I know I am biased.  And of course she is the smartest and most talented also.  😉


I was saddened to read of the death this morning of Glen Campbell.  His music was certainly a part of the music of the soundtrack of my life.  I enjoyed his music very much when I was a girl and we always watched his television show and I enjoyed his music as an adult, especially his Christian music. He was a very talented singer and song writer.  I think my favourite song of his was Witchita Lineman, but I did love them all. He has left a beautiful music legacy that will live on forever.

I best sign off now for the day.  I was a whole hour later getting up this morning.  Its the changing light.  I am behind on everything now though, so here is your thought for the day  . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream,
The earth, and every common sight to me did seam
Apparelled in celestial light,
The glory and the freshness of a dream.
It is now now as it hath been of yore;
Turn wheresoe'er I may,
by night or day,
The things which I have seen I now can see no more.
~William Wordsworth, 
Ode on Intimations of Immortality.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 




 In the English Kitchen today  . . .  Creamy Herb Dressed Lettuce Steaks. Very delicious and very pretty.  This is the type of salad that the Mrs up at the Manor would have enjoyed, well . . .  maybe not.  Iceberg lettuce would not have been fancy enough for her. In any case we sure enjoy it!  But we are common, simple folk.

Have a beautiful Wednesday.  I can't believe that the week is already halfway gone.  Time is flying!  Don't forget along the way of today!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ══════════
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿ 
 ═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ══════════ 


And I do too!

 



15 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, lovely memories from your childhood. I love a trip down memory lane!
    So sad about Glenn Campbell. We saw him a few years ago on his farewell tour. He had his dementia then but was still singing good. It was the talking in between songs that he needed occasional help for. His songs are as good today as they've always been.
    So pleased yesterday's funeral went ok. A sad day for you both. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Marie. I loved the memories you have shared. We shop at the IGA as it is our closest store. I think our growing up was so very different. Brisbane was not a huge town but we were the capital of our state and the land area of the city was then the second largest in the world. Los Angeles was the only city with more land than us back then. But we had corner stores and butchers etc in our suburb. We were very much restricted in our movements as school was on highway 1 and our own road was extremely busy. We stayed close to home and didn't dare to leave school because the punishment was physical.

    Today has been a busy day. Pip graduated from her teacher aide course today. She looked so happy. You may be able to see some photos on Beth or PIp's pages. I have none. It was a long day.

    God bless you and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add that I used to listen to Glen Campbell a lot. I had a few albums and his was the second I ever received. A bittersweet memory indeed. I hope he is resting in peace waiting for angels and his welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our town was much like yours. Now it has a few bars and empty buildings. If it wasn't for law offices and administration buildings, it would not be much of a town at all. I have lots of memories like yours. Window shopping was always fun. They say more and more businesses are closing due to internet shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your trip down memory lane..my store was Woolworth's..w/ my mom♥ A counter though with stools that spun.. such quality! Sturdy as anything..arborite counter I think w/ metal rim..grilled cheese..blt..chocolate milk..

    I remember my ears being pierced and the feel of my first studs:) How exciting..then the infections set in LOL..
    at one point I had a few holes.. 18ish I think maybe even later Married With Children LOL

    Maryn is a pet..no little girls here..a sweet 16 yes..

    Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kate, how wonderful that you got to see Glen Campbell in person, even if he had already developed his Dimentia by then. He had the most beautiful voice. Did I tell you that one of the Osmond Brothers has moved into Chester and will be attending our Church Ward. Jay. Yes, that IS the one I had the crush on when I was a teenager. Wow. Who'd a thunk it eh! All these years later. He's a really nice man! Love and hugs. xoxo

    My favourite album of his is one of his Christian ones Suzan! (The Boy in Me, it came out in 1994) just love it. Congrats to Pip on her graduation, I will try to check out their pages. Love and hugs. xoxo

    Its always sad to see our towns getting smaller like that Pam. I think you are right, people do a lot of shopping online now! Have a great Wednesday! Love and blessings to you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Marie!! Jay!!! You're my claim to fame hahaha!! That'll be amazing for you all. Does he already live in the UK? Xxx

      Delete
  7. Ahh Monique, such lovely memories of time with your mum. I had two holes in my ears at one point, and one in the top of my right ear that I wore a tiny ring in, although I only wear earrings in one now. I got all of those in my 40's! I must have been going through my second childhood. Thankfully I never got an infection in any of my ear holes, although I had lots of ear infections that were horrible! My youngest son still has to have children. I wonder if he will have any girls. If not, Maryn will be the only one. The others are not having any more! Love and hugs, and happy Wednesday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Kate, he is living here in Chester. He and his wife have an apartment down by the river. They'll be here for a couple of years from what I understand. The Osmonds love the UK. All of Donnies sons did their missions over here. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful place to live. I love the walk on the opposite side looking across the river at the amazing houses and flats and wondering who lives there....now I know!! Xxx

      Delete
  9. I went to the same place as Monique, but my mom loved their apple pie with ice cream...beautiful memories! I have many wonderful memories growing up...I was truly blessed~💓 Di

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your memories Marie...nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marie, very late tonight in fact I am just about to go to bed......we have been out tonight with Sheila my friend down fron Edinburgh for a week, she took Mary,Peter and me out for a Chinese dinner, it was very good a new place opened in Corsham we had a lovely meal...so we will probably go there again the prices were also fairly reasonable..now going to bed so I will say night night. God Bless. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my, this post did drum up some memories. I loved your memory walk through your hometown. I love the small town I was raised in until I was in 8th grade. It hasn't changed a ton which is awesome when I do get to visit.
    My parents owned a small cafe named Chesty's Shack. It had the best cheeseburger, fries and shakes.
    I feel sad that there aren't places like this at least in the city for kids to flock too and enjoy. Of course, children of today don't do the old time stuff; which is sad.
    Loved the cute photo of your little one. She's adorable.
    Thanks for stirring up my memories! Blessings, love and hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds very tasty Di! You really were truly blessed! Love you! Xoxo

    Thanks Unknown!

    Sounds like you had quite a day Sybil! Oh I love Chinese food! Wish I could have some now! Xoxo

    Oh, I bet the food at your parents Chesty's Shack was great LeAnn. What is the story behind the name I wonder? God bless, love and hugs! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!