Thursday 4 January 2018

My Favourite Things . . .

 
A few of the things I really love in life, maybe some of them are yours also. Lets share together! 
 
 
Pretty stockings.  These are thigh highs.  I prefer full-ons, like leotard type, but these are just so darned pretty.  Stockings with flowers on them.  Beautiful.
 
  
 
High in nutrients and rich in anti-oxidants, I love LOVE Brussels Sprouts!  This delightful cruciferous vegetable has been a favourite of mine for a very long time.  When cooked properly they are a real treat to eat.  I could eat a whole plateful.  The only time I did not like them was when I bought some tinned ones to see what they were like.  DON'T ever buy tinned ones.  Grossest thing ever.  I like them fresh the best.  Shredded and sauteed, steamed, boiled.  Crispy tender.  YUM!

 
I love LOVE this chair.  Now that's a conversation piece if ever I saw one.  Can you imagine, and I would think that it would fit in any colour scheme! Not sure how comfy it would be, but I just adore it.
 
  
 
I love this hair. I think it is just beautiful. Silver . . . 

 
Shirley Temple Movies.  Even the few that she was in as she got older.  They are simple and sweet.  I think two of my favourites are Heidi and Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. 
 
I find them easy to watch and enjoy.
There is not a lot of background music
drowning out the dialogue.
 
  
 
The Illustrations of Joan Walsh Anglund.  Her characters are so sweet.

 
Embroidered Handkerchiefs.  I know people don't use them anymore, but that doesn't stop me from loving them.
 
  
 
Wool Blankets.  They keep you very warm. 
 
 
White Flannel Sheets.  They keep you even warmer. 
 
The two together in the winter can't be beat.
 
  
 
Hand Embroidered Pillow Slips.  I love these too.   I love embroidering them and I love using them.

 
Classic 1950's television sitcoms.  I love Lucy.  Father Knows Best.  The Donna Reid Show. Leave it to Beaver. etc.  Love them all and never get tired of them. 
 
  
 
Vintage Chrome Dining Sets.  I would snap it up in a minute if I could find one.   I had one when I was first married a long time ago.  It was my parent's old one that I had had recovered. My sister also had a really nice one when she was first married.  Oh so long ago . . .  
 
 
Talking with my sister on the phone.  We used to talk for a couple hours every morning, but then life got in the way.  I had a lovely conversation with her yesterday.  I love my sister so very much.  She has been my best friend for almost 60 years now. (In July!) We may not see eye to eye on some things, but we do on the things that count most of all. 
 
Talked to my dad yesterday also.
It was great. 
 
 
When you keep your sock on right until you get into bed and take them off at the last minute  . . .  the way the sheets feel on your feet.  It feels so good. 
 
  
 
The way it used to feel on the very rare occasion that we would be invited into our parent's bed.  (Didn't happen very often.)  Their bedroom was out of bounds to us.  I think they had this very same bedroom furniture or close to it.  When we were invited to have a snuggle in their bed, it was really special and it felt really special. 
 
 
Old Chenille Bedspreads. Love them.  Have not seen one in years.  When we were children, my siblings and I each had one. My brother's was blue I think, and my sister's and mine were a golden yellow, if I am not mistaken. 
 
  
 
Simple ordinary pancakes. Nothing special.  Just simple, with butter and  maple syrup. No frills.

 
It wasn't something we had very often when I was growing up but I can still remember the taste of Tropicana Orange Juice, from a big glass bottle that my mother bought when we were travelling through America on our way from Manitoba to Nova Scotia and how very good it tasted.  Tropicana Orange Juice. Seriously delicious.  We did have Beep which my mother bought from the milkman. It was a combination of orange juice and apricots juice I believe.  It came in a wax carton. We were allowed a small juice glass of it every morning.   Nothing before or since has tasted as good as that Tropicana Orange juice did in our car.  Funny how that goes.

And I best stop there for this week or I won't have anything to talk about next week!  😉

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°
Faith is the cornerstone
on which all great lives are built.
~unknown  •。★★ 。* 。 
 
 
 
 
BOOK OF MORMON CORNER - 2 Nephi 27:12-35 
Question -What have you learnt from the reading today? How do you know (or why do you believe) that the Book of Mormon is the word of God?  
 
My thoughts - I have learnt today that there are some exciting times to come. Many revelations including the sealed portion of the book of Mormon and the records of the lost tribes will come forth in the due time of the Lord. I know, from previous records that every jot and tittle of prophecy is fulfilled. 
 
I know the Book of Mormon is truly the word of God. At first I knew it because I knew Joseph Smith did in reality see God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. And I knew that Jesus Christ restored His gospel and Church through Joseph Smith, who became the first prophet of these last days to prepare us before Jesus Christ returns. I know all these things with a surety because the Spirit has confirmed it to me. I know it and God knows it and I cannot deny it, neither do I want to. So I knew if Joseph was a true prophet, this book must have come from God. Then I commenced a deep study of it. It has changed my life. Absolutely changed it, and changed me.  This year I am studying the Old Testament alongside the Book of Mormon and once again I feel my testimony strengthened and deepened. Both testify of each other and God is the same. I love it. Also you cannot manufacture the feelings of peace and comfort. The answers to questions and promptings. The way that I can read it and reread it and see different things that apply to my life as it changes. Did I mention I love it?!! 
 
Tomorrow's Reading (Day 68) -  2 Nephi 28:1-16 
Question - What have you learnt from the reading today? Which of satan's false teachings, shown in these verses, can you see still going strong today? 
 
 
 
In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Roasted Pork Shoulder.  I rubbed the flesh with a combination of herbs and spices and it came out very delicious and succulent. Yum Yum!
 
Have a great Thursday!  Don't forget along the way of your day!
 
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 
 
And I do too! 
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
 




 


10 comments:

  1. I love thigh highs! My fav one are the brown and white stripes. I had 3 plain ones that I loved with cable stitched that my Aunts bought for me that was so warm. My Dad asked me if Meme could have them to keep her legs warm bc she was always cold. She happily wore them even though the colors were red, green, and bright blue and her legs stayed warm after that. Lol. I always wondered who took them after she went to heaven bc they disappeared fast.

    He use to go over their house and make homemade chicken noodle soup every week for them. Now he makes it every week for my Mom,him,and my brother and who ever stops by.

    I remember my Nana always had a handkerchief in her pocket. I still have one of hers that's embroidered.

    I remembered my parents having wool blankets that were so heavy. My sisters had beige ones with stripes on the top and so didn't my Aunts but they were lighter.
    They also had those white chenille bedspreads and my Aunts had light pink. Another Aunt had white with a circle design in middle of it with pastel colors of pink,blue,and yellow. I was 8 or 10 yrs old so I don't remember the design of it. I do remember helping to make all the beds with my Aunt Mary every weekend though.

    I remember someone having a red table set and someone else having a white one.I like that blue table set the best.

    My parents had a bedroom set like that too. When my brother was younger he layed down hard thinking it was the pillow and he hit his head on the wood part in the middle. I was 12 or 13 I called the neighbor and she told me to put a hot pack on his head! I always rem after that,it should of been cold water to stop the bleeding! I had towels everywhere! I called my Mom, my sisters, and they came in a flash. He had quite a few stitches in the back of his head! He never laid down on their bed again!

    I love pancakes with blueberries in them and pb on top with maple syrup just like my Dad likes! I need to make some soon!

    I like that oj too.

    My Mom use to embroider her pillow cases with a flower design. She still has some she uses.

    Wow Marie you brought back alot of memories for me!

    Big hugs and love!



    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, I have enjoyed reading your memories! What fun! Little brothers can get big sisters in trouble with their antics. I can remember babysitting for my parents when they were at a dance and my brother (who was supposed to be in bed) kept getting out of bed and throwing his teddy bear down the stairs, thinking it was funny. I would have to take it back up to him and tuck him in again. The last time he did it, he fell down the stairs too and split open his lip. Who got in trouble? ME! Although I am sure that I don't know what I could have done any differently! Love and hugs, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our furnace seems to be running continuously these days making my bedroom one of the warmest in the house. I used to have a very cold room before I moved but no longer. We are suffering a severe cold spell and schools are closed here this week. I don't even want to think about what the heat bill will be. I can't turn the heat down at all as the water pipes will freeze. Hope you all stay warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pretty socks yet weat big heavy ugly Costco ones all winter:) I have a pair of Frida socks..but no one can really tell except me;)
    Thigh highs would keep falling on me..my legs aren't those model thin legs..carrots I have..
    Love that chair! It would be my telephone table chair:) LOVE it.

    I am tempted by silver..my daughter says no mom..
    And my hairdresser said you need thicker hair..mine's not thin but it's not thick like it used to be..

    so not yet.That girl is gorgeous Marie.

    The thought of using hankies is romantic and pretty..but give me disposable unless it was used for tears of joy;)

    Love embroidery..love it all LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen on the television the cold spell you are all enjoying Pam! This is the weather to stay home, indoors and warm, and yes, don't dare let your pipes freeze! xoxo

    I, do love that chair Monique. It would be so lovely to have one. My legs are like sausages, so those thigh highs would not look nice on my legs for that reason, but a gal can admire! My hair is not as thick as it used to be either. I keep thinking I want to do something different with it, but then I chicken out! I love hankies, but not for what they are supposed to be used for, just to look at, lol. I have ugly Costco socklettes also. But, they do what they are supposed to do that that is all that counts! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!

    I love all the wonderful nostalgic things you posted today, Marie! I'm not a stocking person, I feel catastrophic when I wear anything for too long on my feet - my father in law used to say...Shoe old horse, shoe old mare, let that baby run bare, bare bare! I must be a baby, I've never loved shoes or socks... ;0)

    But, I do love Brussels Sprouts, and that chair is adorable! I painted a birds next on an old chair with some eggs in it...my grands fight over who gets to sit on the eggs. What a conversation piece that would be!

    My hair is silver under the hair color - but, it's not long and pretty. I'm afraid I would just look old if I let it go. This lovely lady does not have that problem, she is gorgeous. Now, I would love to have Shirley Temple beautiful curls! I loved her as well, she was so innocent and cute.

    I still use embroidered hankies on Sunday. I think it's just an old fashioned sweet thing to do. I'm not sure I could find them here in the stores, but, I'll be you could order them from Amazon. They are lovely!

    Wool blankets and flannel sheets remind me of my youth, when it was cold at night, out came the flannel and wool! Very comforting.

    I was at a garage sale many years ago and found a whole table of embroidered pillow cases - I bought almost everyone of them! The lady having the sale said that her mother made them. I will never understand why she was selling them. I have used them through the years and always think of the lady who made them...she passed on somethings precious to me.

    Ahhhh, old sit-coms and chrome tables! I had one as well, handed down from my mom and dad when I got married, I wish I had it know, I loved it.

    My sister isn't a phone talker, she keeps her conversations short and sweet. I love long phone calls - I wish you lived closer, just think of the fun we could have on the phone!

    I have one of my mother's dressers from the 50's. I treasure it! I didn't get to cuddle in their bed much either, but I remember snuggling between them sometimes, and I loved the smell of my father's aftershave...Old Spice!

    Bob loves pancakes, he would eat them every morning if I made them. I like them as well, but not like Bob! I love Tropicana orange juice - I'm so sad that you can't buy it there...it's always the favorite morning drink, especially when we are camping. I think, Beep sounds delightful! I love orange juice and apricot juice, I will have to try them together.

    I had the same conversation with my daughter just today, about testimony and why you believe. For me it was a feeling first, then when I continue to read the Book of Mormon, it is burned into my soul...I can't imagine not believing, or having the church in my life. We do have much to look forward to don't we?!

    The Roasted Port Shoulder looks wonderful!!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb



    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry Monique, I am keeping it long for sure.

    Love your comments Barb, they are like having a conversation with a friend. What a great find those pillow cases were. I cannot imagine selling them as a daughter. They are a beautiful legacy! If I didn't want them, I would have broken them down into lots and gifted the children and grandchildren with them. At least they went to your appreciative home! My dad wore old spice also. His top dresser drawer smelled of cork wax (from his clarinet) leather (from his wallet) and the butterscotch wafers he had secreted inside. We do have lots to look forward to! I am so grateful for my church membership! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my how can I decide which post I like most the Friday Finds or My Favorite Things. I think My Favorite things because you show photos of things that I loved growing up and i feel nostalgic.
    The stockings were adorable but I certainly wouldn't wear them. I would love to see some on someone though.
    I love brussel sprouts but my hubby doesn't. I need to find a really good recipe and see if I can get him to like them more.
    I love the photo of the long silver hair. I would so love a style like this. However, my hair is thin and I won't ever have long hair like that again.
    The illustration picture is adorable but I love your art work the best. I hope you will do more this year.
    Yes, I love that those sweet Shirley Temple movies too. I haven't seen one for a while; so maybe it's time to enjoy again.
    Embroidery hankerchiefs and pillow cases were the best. I only have one set of embroidery pillowcases and I do love them so much.
    I remember doing them when I was young and the dish towels too. So sad that these are a lost art.
    Wool blankets and flannel sheets are the best. I often go to bed with socks on and then take them off after a few moments.
    The vintage table, bedroom and the bedspreads brought back some memories.
    I loved all the series shows in the 1950's and 60's. I wish they would do more replays of them all.
    I loved the old black phone that brings back a slew of memories. I used to talk with my husband or boyfriend at that time for hours on the phone like this.
    I love that you get to talk with your sister fairly often. I wish I could have had a sister; I missed that part. I have some great friends, but I miss having a friend that I could talk with on a daily basis. I haven't had that in a very long time. People just don't talk on the phone much anymore.
    I loved reading your testimony of The Book of Mormon today; lovely!
    Sending loving thoughts and big hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks LeAnn! I,love these conversations with you too! Love and hugs! I miss having a close friend I can talk to also. Not sure if I will ever have one over here with that infamous British Reserve getting in the way! I would love one though. Probably why I like blogging so much! Blessings to you! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!