Monday 8 January 2018

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 
 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  

A few of the small and wonderful things from the past week which brought untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 


My journal.  I'm actually doing it. Taking a few minutes a day to jot something down of import.  Perhaps a legacy for the kids.  Important thoughts and ponderings.  What matters to me.  Things I am grateful for. Quotes and other things which inspire me.   Here is an example of something I put into it:

"It has been said that happiness includes three things: someone to love,
something to do, and something to look forward to." 

 

Yesterday I noticed that these little Amish Dolls were now living on this sign in the Dining area of our lounge.  Todd must have moved them there.  They seem to fit. One was a gift from a friend and the other a gift from my sister.  She used to make the most beautiful Victorian Peg Dolls.  I think she still should.

Chickens and Amish go together like peas and carrots.

  

Little treasures  . . . Blue Tit salt and pepper shakers (a gift from my friend Margaret down south), Blue Bird salt and pepper shakers (a gift from Sister Jo), a blown glass rooster (a gift from the two Phils), a huge ceramic chicken (a gift from Doreen), a blue and white ceramic basket (a gift from a charity shop), Victorian Bunny salt and pepper shakers (a charity shop gift from Todd).  So much love on that shelf. 

I am blessed.


A late Christmas card from my sister.  Its beautiful and it is sitting on a shelf next to a polished stone and Yankee candle.  I am a card keeper. Todd wonders why I do this . . .  to me a card is more than a card. It is a piece of someone's heart they have chosen to share with you. How can you not hang onto pieces of people's hearts? 

   

She lives in a cup. A very cosy cup.  A gift from my my much beloved cousin Martha. I smile whenever I see her.  Delt blue windmills also make me smile as do pictures of Missionary sister's long gone from our presence, but still in our hearts. 

I love that I have a heart composed of spaces that are filled with all these
wonderful gifts and thoughts.
Again, I am blessed. 


The only piece of my art that's on show.  Why, I don't know  . . . why this one?  Another thing I don't know.  But its framed and its up there on the wall. 


We have a framed picture of Him in every room. I am partial to these black and white renderings by Liz Lemon Swindle.  To me they have captured the essence of His spirit and also speak to my heart in a very special way.  I love the Saviour with all of my heart, mind and soul.


There are chunks of my heart all over this house . . .  


Facetimes with Doug on Sunday afternoons and new family photos.  That is my middle son Doug, his wife Kayla, Jon, Josh (who turns 9 tomorrow) and Jake, oh . . .  and Baya the boxer. The boys are growing like weeds.

  

Doug loves to cook and he loves my cookbook.  He sent me these pictures he took of the Chicken Pot Pie recipe from the book.  He made it and he said it was . . .  


Awesome! 

The thought of people, especially my children, cooking recipes from my book and declaring them awesome warms my heart in a very special way.  I think someone should start a group where they only cook recipes from my book, just like they did with Tuesdays with Dorie.  Oh, but that is a real pipe dream.  Nevermind.  How very un-humble of me.  

I'm only human after all . . . 


My son in law Tim sent me this.  My daughter Eileen getting ready to blow out her candles yesterday at the little party they had at their apartment.   I hope she blew all of them out and gets her wish.  I am loving the hat.

Simple pleasures.
You only turn 40 once! 
♥ 

A thought to carry with you  . . .  



° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
One small positive thought in the morning
can change your whole day.
~Unknown   •。★★ 。*  • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 


 

BOOK OF MORMON CORNER - Today's Reading - 2 Nephi 30:1-18 
Question - What have you learnt from the reading today? Why do you think Nephi warns his people about self righteousness?   
 
My Thoughts - Three things come to mind. 
 
(1) The talk 'waiting for the prodigal' by Brent H Nielson. "I realised that in some ways I was the prodigal son. All of us fall short of the glory of the Father (see Romans 3:23). All of us need the Savior’s Atonement to heal us. All of us are lost and need to be found. This revelation that day helped me know that my sister and I both needed the Savior’s love and His Atonement. Susan and I were actually on the same path back home".   
 
(2) Matthew 20:1-16.  The wages of the Labourer were agreed at the start, they were grateful for the work and glad to be employed. It was when they COMPARED their day long labour to those who had laboured less but received the same reward that they felt hard done by and disgruntled.  
 
(3) Romans 8:16-18, "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us". 
 
There will not be a single one of God's children that will gain eternal life without covenants made with the Saviour. All will have that opportunity in this stage of eternity or the next. We need Him to perfect us. We do nothing of ourselves, that would merit a life of eternal happiness with Heavenly Father and our families. Everything we lack is made perfect IN Him. His love for us is so great and complete and perfect that He doesn't need more that to have more than us. He is happy to share all The Father has with us. Oh how I love Him!!
 
Tomorrow's Reading (Day 72) - 2 Nephi 31:1-21 
Question - Why is baptism so important? What does 'enduring to the end' mean to you? 
 
 
 
In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Roast Chicken Soup with Barley, Parsnips & Cabbage.  This is delicious and perfect for these colder days we are experiencing!  
 
I hope your week ahead is filled to abundance with small and wonderful things.  Don't forget!
 
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
 
And I do too!  
 
 

 
 


8 comments:

  1. Gosh in first time this morning...you have so many nice things dotted round the house I'm sure I could visit every day for a month and still not see everything !!....it's nice when your eyes catch something and you kind of smile at the thought of the person who gave it to you....
    I'm a bit like Todd in the fact that I don't keep cards either....I remember how upset Mum was many years ago now when she found that Dad had kept cards etc etc that he never told her about....she said then ...nobody will have to do this for me, and she went and brought a box through with cards etc in it and put them all in the fire.....as she rightly said, nobody will look at them in the same way as I did.... I have never since kept cards etc......anyway hope you have a good day ahead, it's still very cold wind but thankfully no frost this morning....take care.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sister did a great job making the peg doll Marie!

    It looks like your daughter had a great Birthday yesterday! Yay!

    You have alot of great little treasures and happy memories!

    Your son Doug has the cutest little boys too. It looks like Jake is thinking about something mischievous! Lol. I remember that look esp with my daughter b4 she tried to get her brother in trouble. Lol.

    Happy 9th Birthday to Josh! I hope he has a fantastic day!

    Look at that big gorgeous beautiful cookbook leaning there!
    Doesn't that look familiar now! Lol.

    Marie,you should be very proud of your cookbook! It took alot of work,prepping,trying out new recipes,dirty dishes,taking pictures that needed to have just the right lighting, proof reading etc.for a whole year!That's alot of work!

    I hope all your dreams and pipe dreams come true bc you deserve it!

    Love and big hugs!xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't seen Doug in a while..how adorb he made and sent your recipe..3 boys just like our Caroline..
    Your sister is so talented..and that card..:) Just by reading the end I can see it meant a lot to you..she did pick that one:)
    And that book!!:)♥
    Golden Globe winner last night..did you hear?

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice your son sent you pictures of what he made from your book. On a small scale, just my family, I made a cook book for my children of all their favorite recipes growing up and yes it did warm my heart to see pictures of what they made. I don't cook every day, always eating leftovers the next day but it would be fun to have a recipe group where we make the same thing and blog about it. Maybe Sunday Dinner would be a good one. I'd follow you if you'd want to start one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you here so early Sybil! Seems like just yesterday you were ACTUALLY here in my house! What a fabulous memory that is for me! It was such a dream come true for me! We had a very thick frost this morning! And its mid afternoon and I am wanting the heat on again! Brrr. Love and hugs. xoxo

    My sister is multi-faceted and very talented Jan! WE used to do craft shows together when we lived closer to each other. I cherish those memories. Jake is a real character for sure! He was so shy the last time I saw him, but every time my son facetimes me, Jake is right there front and centre and wanting to talk to me. It makes my heart sing! Thanks so much for your kind words re my book. It was certainly a labor of love and the fulfilment of a lifelong dream for sure! Love and hugs. xoxo

    My two oldest boys and my oldest daughter are all very good to me Monique. I am so grateful for each of them! I do wish I lived closer. Are you referring to Oprah's speech on the GG's? I think it was just wonderful. That woman should run for president. She would take it in a landslide! Hope you are staying warm. Love and hugs! xoxo

    I bet your children really treasure that book Pam! I did the same for mine each time they got married. I will put some thought into starting the blog, and we shall see. You never know. It might catch on! Blessings to you and hugs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie~

    I loved every single thing about this post...it's just so wonderful to see all of the little spots, places and things that you love.

    It's wonderful that you are jotting something down everyday. My sweet little friend, Eva, who passed away a few years ago, had boxes of journals! Sometimes I would need to remember what happened on a certain day, and she could go back and tell me...it was amazing! Your kids will really treasure them.

    I love your hutch, isn't it fun to just look at all the love inside? I'm a card keeper too. How do you store yours, I'm running out of space. Your artwork is so beautiful, you really should have one wall dedicated to it! I also love the black and white pictures of, Christ, and, Liz Lemon Swindle sure does get it right, they are so pretty.

    I love your cookbook! I don't do Facebook, or I would start a group! I've made several recipes from it and loved them all. They're easy to follow, and they are all delicious! You are not un-humble, you should be very proud of such a great accomplishment!

    Your family is beautiful, what great pictures of all of them! I'm glad Eileen had a good birthday, nothing better than candles on a cake!

    Your last paragraph of, Spiritual Enlightenment really said it all, amen.

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you have items that have been given to you that you treasure, display and have fond memories of. I have some too and they are cherished gifts. I too love cards and can't seem to throw them away. There are some wonderful ones; that i like to look at; at times.
    My parents saved all the cards they gave to each other through the years and when they got older they re-gave them to each other. I loved that idea.
    I think it is just wonderful that your children are treasuring and using your recipes. I am sure good cooks run in your family line.
    I loved the photo of Doug's family; so adorable. Eileen's Birthday party looked awesome.
    I too love Liz Lemon Swindles painting too. I especially love the one of tears in the Savior's eyes.
    I always love any of your art work. You must do more.
    Enjoyed reading your Spirtual Enlightenment post!
    Sending warm thoughts, love and hugs your way dear friend for another wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Barb! I am really happy you are using the book! Yay! I hope that one day my kids do treasure my words, and I really hope that where I live so far away from them, they are able to get them. We will see! Love and hugs! Hope you are feeling a LOT better than you were! xoxo

    Thanks LeAnn! I have not done any art in a while, but my fingers are itching to do more. I did a piece for someone as a Christmas Gift commission in Nov/Dec last year, but that was all I did for a whole year. Naughty me! Love and hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!